This post may contain affiliate linksJump to Recipe
Beyond Zucchini Bread
I love zucchini. I welcome all the zucchini that wants to grow in my garden. To me, it’s delicious sautéed, shredded in bread or muffins, as fritters, or in this delicious Slow Cooker Creamy Zucchini Turmeric Soup. Because, as much as I love straight up zucchini, this soup transforms it into something else entirely.
Slow Cooker Simplicity
This delicious soup uses a slow cooker or Instant Pot for a hands off summer meal. As I mentioned in my last post, I try not to heat up the kitchen too much when I cook in the summer. Using a slow cooker minimizes the heat output and allows me to get dinner ready ahead of time so I can go do other things, such as pick up my kids from camp, work in the garden, or type up this post.
I love the feeling of coming back to the slow cooker later in the day and feeling like someone made me dinner. Sometimes I walk in the house with my kids, smell the aroma of food, and say, “Oh, it smells like dinner! I wonder who made it?” My kids laugh at me.
Healing Zucchini Soup
I’ve been on a gut healing journey for a while now. For me, this means lots of low histamine, low fodmap foods. I love that this soup is a source of healthy carbs from zucchini, nourishing fats from the coconut milk, and gut healing broth. Turmeric and ginger round it out to be an anti-inflammatory superstar soup.
While you could make this vegetarian by using a vegetarian broth, I strongly recommend either making your own bone broth or buying high quality bone broth. Bone or meat broth is very healing to the body and is the flavor basis for this soup.
A note about histamine levels: if you have a histamine intolerance, either make meat broth (which is done by poaching bone-in chicken in water until cooked and straining out the broth) or use an Instant Pot to make a faster bone broth. This will help to prevent a histamine reaction.
How to Make and Serve Creamy Zucchini Turmeric Soup
It really is as easy as throwing everything in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. Just reserve the apple cider vinegar to add in after you turn off the heat to maintain the probiotic benefits.
I like to serve this soup alongside a big salad with some chicken or turkey sausage. With the leftovers, I often add in cooked chicken and kale for lunch. It’s also delicious as a light meal with flaky sea salt and fresh herbs sprinkled on top.
To pull a meal together quick, hopefully you have some sourdough bread on hand. Toast it up and serve it with lots of butter and maybe some raw cheese alongside this soup.
However you present it, this Creamy Zucchini Turmeric Soup is adaptable and sure to please!
Thanks for reading, and be sure to check out the recipes below to round out your meal.
Until next time,
Slow Cooker Creamy Zucchini Turmeric Soup
- Slow Cooker can also use Instant Pot – See note below
- Immersion blender or can use regular blender
- 2 lbs zucchini about 2 large
- 3 cups broth I like to use chicken broth; use vegetarian for vegetarian soup
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp Fody garlic infused olive oil
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar add at end
- Wash and trim zucchini. Dice into 1 inch pieces. Place zucchini and all other ingredients (except apple cider vinegar) in slow cooker. Cook on high for 6 hours.
- Turn off heat. Blend soup using immersion blender, or transfer to blender in batches (don't fill it full) and carefully blend until creamy. Stir in apple cider vinegar, and taste and adjust for seasonings. I like to top this soup with flaky sea salt and fresh herbs.