This post got an update on 11/15/21Jump to Recipe
The Perfect Winter Comfort Food
I loved this Savory Squash Bread Pudding. It is filling, decadent, and full of flavor. Winter calls for warm, comforting meals that are nutrient dense and filling. This dish uses aged cheese, nourishing winter squash, and fermented sourdough bread. The milk, eggs, and cheese provide a good amount of protein, and the sourdough bread and squash give a dose of healthy carbs.
I used butternut squash in this recipe, but you can experiment with acorn, kuri, pumpkin, or any winter squash you come across. You could also get away with using sweet potatoes. I used Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, which I love, but feel free to use any hard, aged cheese that your taste buds agree with. If you like meat, a great addition would be some local sausage.
Make this today, and I bet you’ll be making it all winter long. Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you next time!
Before You Go…
- Winter Cobb Salad: Lighten up, but don’t skimp on flavor, with this seasonal cobb salad.
- Winter Squash with Honey & Sea Salt: A simple side that adds elegance to any meal.
- Easy Cheesy Baked Beans: An equally hearty, and comforting, meal that is quick and easy to make.
Savory Squash Bread Pudding
- 3 cups winter squash or sweet potatoes peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 large eggs whisked
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 9 cups day old sourdough bread cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and cut squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Arrange in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Prepare other ingredients: whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in large bowl. Cut bread into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine cooked squash and bread with milk and egg mixture. Pour into oiled 2 quart square baking dish. Sprinkle remaining half cup of cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit about 45 minutes, or until it is golden on top.