There are few ways I like to eat green apples better than with cheddar (everything’s better with cheddar!). Cheddar is an old favorite of mine. I grew up eating orange cheddar, then switched to white, and now look for extra sharp aged white cheddar. There’s just nothing like it. It goes so nicely with crackers, eggs, toast, on its own, and with green apples.
Now that Autumn is here, apples are in abundance. I read somewhere recently that there are hundreds, even thousands, of varieties of apples. Among my favorites are Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, and Granny Smith. Try Granny Smith or Mutsu apples in this easy Panini.
Use sourdough bread for maximum nutrition, or try a paleo or gluten-free bread option.
Appe Cheddar Panini
A sweet and savory take on classic grilled cheese. Thinly sliced apples and apple butter make it sing.
- Optional cast iron pan makes a golden crust.
- 2 slices whole grain sourdough bread
- 1/2 tart green apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp apple butter
- 3-4 slices sharp white cheddar
- Generously butter the outside of each slice of bread (the side that will hit the pan). Spread the apple butter on the inside and layer the cheddar and apple slices in the middle.
- Cook, butter side down, in a hot cast iron pan until golden over medium heat, about 1-2 minutes per side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!