This post got an update on 10/4/21
I love soup. Especially in Autumn and Winter. It seems as though soup season is finally (really) here. Baltimore weather is so weird — yesterday it was high 70’s and muggy, and today it’s low 60’s and crisp and windy. I love it. I think there’s even a frost warning this weekend. Hearty soup recipes are great to make into meals with the addition of crusty bread, a good salad, or a fried egg on top. So many options and combinations.
Dairy Free Creamy Soup
This Kale Potato Soup is so hearty and creamy that, if I hadn’t made it myself, I would have guessed it had lots of cream and butter in it. Not so, my friends! It’s dairy free. (Side note — I am not against butter or cream. They both have their places. But sometimes I want to lighten up on dairy. Other times I want to pair a soup with a heavier side and it’s nice to balance things out.)
Use Sweet or Regular Potatoes
I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, and I loved it. It gave it a delicious sweetness that was not over the top. I’d like to try with regular potatoes too and maybe add some bacon as a garnish. This recipe was inspired by one I found in Simply in Season, which is a favorite cookbook of mine.
What is Your Favorite?
Do you have a favorite autumn/winter meal? Please share it in the comments below. Here are a few of mine:
- Butternut Bisque: The toppings make the soup! While this soup is lovely on its own, I like to go crazy with toppings: yogurt, bacon, hard-boiled egg, and pesto.
- Perfect Black Beans: Although I eat beans year round, I find them especially comforting and cozy during the cooler months. This recipe soaks the beans first, then cooks them with added sautéed onions and jalapenos.
- Winter Cobb Salad: Salads for lunch is the norm for me, and this winter cobb salad features seasonal ingredients with deep flavors by using beets, blue cheese, and walnuts.
I hope you enjoy this soup! Let me know if you give it a try. Until next time,
Sweet Potato Kale Bisque
- Immersion or regular blender
- 1 large bunch kale stemmed, washed, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 5 cups broth use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- optional chopped bacon or fried eggs, for garnish
- Stem and wash kale. Coarsely chop it and steam. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot, then saute onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in diced sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Boil for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Turn off heat. Puree soup with immersion blender, or transfer to blender in batches to puree. Stir in 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- Garnish, if you like, with a fried egg or chopped bacon.