|One of my favorite weekly breakfasts: Loaded Breakfast Tostadas|
Tostadas are a regular thing around here. The whole fam gets excited about fried corn tortillas topped with beans, meat, cheese and other deliciousness.
Eating them for breakfast is one of my favorite things to do when I have a bit of extra time. Let me show you how.
|Full of flavor, I love to add extra lime and flaky salt to these Loaded Breakfast Tostadas.|
Jump to Recipe
Tostadas refer to a fried or toasted tortilla, often flat but sometimes bowl-shaped, that are used to carry toppings. You can buy them already crisp, like a large round tortilla chip, or can use corn tortillas to make your own tostadas.
We make our own tortillas because often there are unhealthy vegetable oils in commercially prepared tostadas. I sometimes use sprouted corn tortillas that I find in the frozen section at health food stores. Other times we just make extra corn tortillas using the Bob’s Red Mill recipe.
Then we top them with any Tex-Mex combination you can think of: refried beans, sour cream, beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, lime, onion…the list goes on.
It’s important to note that tostadas are a messy affair. The toppings are loaded up and fall regularly onto the plate as they are eaten. A fork comes in handy for scooping up spilled toppings.
What makes these tostadas breakfast-y is simply the fact that they are topped with fried eggs. I like to load them up with raw cheddar, salsa, lettuce, bell pepper, diced red onion, a squeeze of lime and a dusting of cumin.
I get super excited about eating these. After waking up early and going through my morning routine (coffee, devotions, music practice, exercise, getting breakfast for the kids and taking them to school, and walking the dog) I’m very hungry by 9:30 or 10:00. If I’m not drinking a smoothie, a morning latte or eating scrambled eggs I’m usually eating these loaded breakfast tortillas.
The combination of a crisp tortilla with toppings that range in texture from creamy to crunchy is not to be underestimated. Nor is the extra lime juice and flaky sea salt sprinkled on top.
Feel free to use my topping suggestions as a guide, but customize these breakfast tostadas however you like.
Enjoy your breakfast!
Other Breakfasts to Try
– My Morning Smoothie: a collagen-rich powerhouse with cherries and cocoa.
– Overnight oatmeal: a quick soak the night before renders these oats healthy and digestible.
Loaded Breakfast Tostadas
Time: 15 minutes
4 corn tortillas
2-4 tablespoons bacon fat, olive oil or avocado oil
1/2 bell pepper
1/4 red onion
4 leaves Romaine lettuce
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and flaky sea salt
1. Wash and chop vegetables very finely. Dice avocado. Shred cheddar.
2. Heat your choice of fat in a large skillet. When it is hot, add corn tortillas, 2 at a time. Cook until crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
3. Cook eggs. Add more oil if necessary and crack eggs into pan. You can leave them sunny side up, which will be a bit messier when you go to eat your tostada, or you can flip them and cook them over medium so they are not quite as runny.
4. Build your tostadas: place one egg per tortilla and top with vegetables, avocado, salsa, cheddar and spices. Serve with extra flaky sea salt and extra lime wedges.