This post was updated on 2/22/22Jump to Recipe
Using My Oven In August
There are people out there who probably think I’m crazy for using my oven in August. Since I bake all the time anyways, it’s no big deal to me, and I don’t notice an overwhelming difference in the comfort level of my apartment. Besides, I only recently perfected recipe for oven fries, so now I want to make them whenever we get potatoes. (If anyone has a suggestion for what to do with potatoes that doesn’t involve heat, I would be interested in hearing it!).
Nutritional Benefits of Potatoes
These chips are so good plain or with some organic ketchup. In the past, potatoes have been overlooked for their nutritional benefits, but there is really a lot of good in them! They are a good source of carbohydrates. They are also a good source of protein, Vitamin C, and potassium. I use extra virgin olive oil to give a good dose of healthy fat, and I sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder to give it a nice flavor. And the secret ingredient? Halfway through baking, I scatter sesame seeds over the chips to give them extra crunch (plus extra fiber and protein). This is a great snack, side, or appetizer. Pair it with some organic ketchup, and then you get lycopene to boot!
I love the Primal Kitchen ketchup I order from Thrive Market. It comes right to my door when I need it. If you’re not a Thrive Market member yet, join now and get a free cookbook with your subscription.
Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you next time!
Easy Crispy Oven Roasted Chips
- Mandoline slicer helpful but not required
- 1 lb gold potatoes washed and sliced 1/8" thick
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Scrub and slice potatoes 1/8" thick. Add half of oil to pan, add potatoes and slide around to coat one side. Drizzle remaining oil over top. Sprinkle on seasonings (excluding sesame seeds) and toss to coat well. Lay potatoes flat and avoid overlapping.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, flip potatoes, and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake for 25 minutes longer or until crisp.