Smoothie or Milkshake?
You guys, I think I outdid myself on this one. I love smoothies as an occasional breakfast or dessert, and this one feels like dessert all the way (not that you couldn’t have it for breakfast, of course). This smoothie is so smooth, creamy, chocolatey, and decadent that you’ll wonder if you’re drinking a milkshake.
Read on to learn the surprising secret ingredient that packs in extra protein, the extras that take it to the next level, and how to make it for yourself. And don’t forget to leave me a comment below!
Perhaps you use protein powder, perhaps not. It’s not an everyday pantry kind of item for many people. I started using it to supplement my protein intake to make sure I was getting enough. I also use it to make desserts healthier. It’s harder to over consume desserts that have low sugar and high protein than it is to over consume high sugar and high carb desserts. For that reason I like to use organic, grass fed chocolate whey protein. It has 10 grams of protein per serving, along with only 1 gram of total sugars.
The Secret Ingredient
However, I take this smoothie to the next level in terms of protein by adding…eggs! I hard boil eggs, peel them, and blend them up to create a smooth, custardy smoothie that is just plain delicious. If it sounds weird to you, just think of body builders adding raw eggs to their smoothies. This is definitely a step up from that.
How About You?
And now, how about you? Will you give this smoothie a try? It is a great on the go breakfast or lunch option. It would also be delicious divided up into smaller portions and used as a healthy dessert after dinner. Even my kids love this smoothie, but they have no idea how healthy it is.
Let me know if you make it and leave me a comment below.
Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you next time!
Before You Go, Check Out These Other Smoothies
Luxurious Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 cup liquid whey, yogurt, or coconut milk
- 4 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 small ripe banana fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp mangosteen powder optional, but delightful
- 2 tsp maca powder optional, but delightful
- 1 cup ice optional, makes it frothier
- If you don't have hard boiled eggs on hand, begin by bringing a small pot of water to boil. Once it's boiling, gently lower 4 eggs into the water. Boil for 7 minutes. While it's boiling, fill a medium size bowl with ice and cold water. When the timer goes off, remove the eggs from the boiling water and plunge into the ice bath.
- While the eggs are cooling, place remaining ingredients in blender. Once eggs are cool, peel and add. Blend on high, pausing to scrap down the sides of the blender, until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into two glasses and drink right away, or store in the fridge for up to three days.