It’s Sweet Potato Season
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods, if you haven’t noticed already by all the recipes I have for them on this blog. I love their orange color (and also white and purple), I love their sweetness, and I love how versatile they are in recipes.
One of my favorite fall and winter foods is soup. It warms you on a chilly day and it’s easy to customize it according to the season. This Autumn Roasted Sweet Potato soup is easy to make and will have you doubling it to freeze for easy meals in the future.
The roasted soup highlights the vegetables of the season: sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, leeks, and herbs. The earthy rosemary, sage, and thyme bring out the deep sweet flavors of the sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.
This soup goes well with fresh bread or a dollop of sour cream on top. I served it with seeded whole grain sourdough rolls.
Instead of starting this soup in a pot, first the ingredients are tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roasted in the oven. This brings out the flavor of the sweet potatoes and adds a dimension that is not found in stove top soups. The roasted vegetables are then blended with chicken broth and water to thin it out. If you would like a vegan or vegetarian soup, you can use vegetarian broth.
I know you’ll love this Autumn Roasted Sweet Potato Soup. You’ll found yourself adding it to your meal rotation when you have company, when it’s just you, when you need to batch cook for the month, or when you want lunch for the week. Enjoy!
See you next time,
Other Sweet Potato Favorites
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup: This creamy soup uses curry and spice to create a delicious flavor. Top with plain yogurt to cut the heat.
- Roasted Sweet Potato Medallions: A simple, elegant side dish. Great with roasted or braised meats, or make a batch to to salads.
- Sweet Potato Sausage Calzone: A family favorite, this recipe fills a sourdough crust with sweet potatoes, Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese.
Autumn Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- Immersion or regular blender
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 leeks sliced down the middle, peeled back, and rinsed
- 1 lb parsnips peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt use sea salt or Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- sour cream or fresh chives optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Chop and prepare vegetables, garlic, and herbs. Place on large baking tray, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and use your hands to toss with salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until vegetables are tender.
- Blend, in batches if necessary, with chicken broth and water. Reheat if necessary in a pot. Stir in apple cider vinegar before serving. Alternately, you can combine the roasted vegetables, broth, and water in a large pot, then use an immersion blender before reheating the soup. Add apple cider vinegar and serve.
- Garnish with sour cream and/or chives, and serve with fresh bread if desired.