This post was updated 2.1.22
I feature Grapewood Farm flour in this recipe. They give me a discount in exchange for promoting their products, but I only promote companies I highly value.
It’s Rhubarb Season!
I think it is time for another muffin recipe, wouldn’t you say? I’m super excited to use rhubarb in these Fermented Strawberry Rhubarb Spelt Muffins. By now, you probably know I am a big fan of muffins (the fermented, low sugar kind). This seasonal muffin celebrates rhubarb. One of my favorite combinations is strawberry rhubarb, whether it be pie, crisp, or muffin. I was excited to pick up some strawberries and rhubarb at the farmers market last weekend.
Snag the recipe below, and leave me a comment below if you give these a try.
Fermented Strawberry Rhubarb Spelt Muffins
- Muffin pan
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour I love Grapewood Farm flour. See the link to order in the notes below.
- 2 cups plain buttermilk or yogurt If yogurt is too thick, use slightly less than 2 cups and thin it with a little water.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup diced rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup additional coconut sugar for optional crumble topping
- 1 tbsp additional butter or coconut oil for optional crumble topping
- 1 tsp cinnamon for optional crumble topping
- 1 tsp spelt flour for optional crumble topping
- The night before you plan to bake the muffins, mix together the spelt flour with buttermilk/yogurt. Let sit out at room temperature for at least 8 hours and no more than 16.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a muffin pan. Add to the flour/buttermilk mixture the melted butter, coconut sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk well.
- Stir in the diced rhubarb and sliced strawberries just until combined. If using the crumble topping, mix that up in a small bowl, using two knives to cut it together. Sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until inserted fork/toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on a rack.
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Adapted from Simply in Season
Makes 8 muffins on the large side
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
Mix in medium bowl, thinning with water if necessary to be able to mix into a ball. Let sit overnight or for 8 hours before proceeding.
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix together in a separate large bowl. Add to dough and stir just until combined.
3/4 cup diced rhubarb
3/4 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup nuts (optional — I didn’t use any)
Stir into batter, being careful not to overmix. Divide into greased muffin pan cups.
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon flour
Sprinkle on top. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove and finish cooling on rack.
Other posts you might like: