This post was updated on 5/29/21Jump to Recipe
Cooking With A Friend
My friend Rachael came to visit last weekend, and we had an oh-so-lovely time together. We went on a hike, got some gelato, hung out, and, of course, cooked together. Or rather, chopped together. We made the most wonderful salad with all sorts of yummy ingredients. And so healthy!
Stars of the Salad
Avocado is high in fiber, healthy fats, potassium, and vitamins B, E, and K. Strawberries and bell peppers are high in vitamin A. Tomatoes have lycopene, which has been shown to prevent cancer. Every ingredient in this recipe does something good for you.
The real star of this salad, however, is the dressing. It’s the best balsamic vinaigrette I’ve ever tasted. It pairs so well with the ingredients, especially the strawberries. You can add any vegetables you want to this salad, but I highly recommend including the strawberries.We paired our salad with some good flaxseed quinoa bread from a bakery and a smooth chardonnay.
Summer Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
A refreshing, seasonal salad with a flavorful balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 heart Romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 1 bunch spinach chopped
- 1/2 beefsteak tomato sliced into one inch pieces
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 pound strawberries washed, stemmed and sliced
- 4 oz. feta cheese can sub goat cheese
- 1 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1 avocado cubed
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon shoyu or tamari sauce use tamari for gluten free
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Real Salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar can sub brown sugar or honey
- Wash and chop all vegetables, layering them in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle feta cheese, walnuts and avocado on top.
- Add dressing ingredients (starting with extra virgin olive oil) to blender. Blend until garlic is well incorporated into dressing.
- Serve salad with dressing on the side. This salad pairs well with fresh bread or alongside grilled steak. It is also delicious on it's own as a light lunch or dinner.