Makes 10 muffins (or 12 smaller muffins)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Ingredients for the Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 rounded cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 rounded cup frozen blackberries or blueberries (or any berry, really!)
1) Mix the topping together in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with two knives or a pastry blender until it’s crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg until it’s frothy. Add the sugar and softened butter and whisk vigorously until well-blended. Add the sour cream, vanilla, and lemon zest and whisk well. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
4) In a greased muffin pan, fill 10 cups 3/4 full and sprinkle with topping. Fill the remaining 2 cups with water. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean (you’ll smell the muffins all of a sudden, and then you’ll know they are done).
5) Remove muffins from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack. These are so good, even three days later, when stored in an airtight container.